A domain is a web address that makes your website accessible to your visitors online. While publishing your website for the first time, you can decide whether to buy a domain or map an existing one.
With Zoho Sites you can:
- Buy a domain
- Map an existing domain
- Use a Zoho Sites subdomain.
Using a Zoho Sites subdomain
Zoho Sites provides free subdomains which you can use to publish your website instantly. Your website address will be suffixed by .zohosites.com.
Using a domain that you have already purchased
You can use domains that you have bought elsewhere on Zoho Sites. Enter the domain name which you own in the "Already own a Domain?" text box, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions. Next, you'll need to map your domain to Zoho Sites, to view your website online. Click here to learn how to map your domain.
Buying a brand new domain from Zoho
You can purchase a new domain from Zoho when you publish your website. Domains purchased through Zoho will be configured automatically and mapped to Zoho Sites.
- The first step involves checking the availability of your preferred domain. If the domain you tried is not available, you can try another domain name.
- If your preferred domain is available, simply follow the on-screen instructions.
Having multiple domains for the same website
Out of the multiple domains you can have for your website, only one can be primary, the others will be secondary. Users who access the secondary domains will be redirected to the primary one. You can configure any of your domains to be primary
Change a secondary domain to primary
- Access the domain settings page. All your domains will be listed, with a "Make Primary" link beside it.
- Use the "Make Primary" link to switch between your primary and secondary domains.
- Whenever a secondary domain is made primary, the primary domain will automatically be made secondary.
Points to consider
- A website can have only one primary domain.
- You can have multiple domains for your site, but only one may be a Zoho Sites sub-domain. The remaining can be domains which you own.
- You cannot delete primary domains. If you wish to delete that domain, make it a sub-domain by making another domain primary then you may delete that domain.
- If your site has only one domain and you would like to delete it, add a Zoho Sites sub-domain and make that domain primary, there-by making the other domain secondary, allowing you to delete it.